One of my favorite quotes of all time is this gem by the German philosopher Goethe centuries ago:
“NO MAN IS MORE HOPELESSLY ENSLAVED THAN HE WHO FALSELY BELIEVES HE IS FREE!
I would submit that the concept of freedom is primarily rooted in spirituality. I say this because all humanity, even the Tyrants among us, are slaves to the demands of the flesh. In order to sustain quality life, everyone, even the worst tyrant, MUST eat nutritious foods, sleep a certain number of hours, use the bathroom fairly regularly, etc. etc. Just because one is free to choose a favorite brand of toilet paper doesn’t mean they are FREE from having to employ the same. By the same token, is it possible for a human being to be kept in chains, yet still be spiritually free? Of course it is.
This is what Jesus of Nazareth was referring to when He declared: “Ye Shall Know the Truth, and the TRUTH shall make you free!” (John 8:32). Jesus didn’t come to offer the world PHYSICAL freedom, rather, He came to offer SPIRITUAL freedom to all of mankind! He told His disciples: “And fear not them which kill the body, but are not able to kill the soul: but rather fear him which is able to destroy both soul and body in hell.” (Matthew 10:28) This counsel was given even to physical slaves: “Servants, be subject to your masters with all fear; not only to the good and gentle, but also to the froward” (1 Peter 2:18)
With this in mind, there can be no more perverse tyranny, than FALSE RELIGION! Not only do FALSE RELIGIONS keep humans content in their physical slavery, but they imprison the SOUL itself in a very real subterranean holding cell! The Biblical Christ is the TRUTH – while man-made fictional deities are LIES. Truth frees, Lies enslave.
From the website “The Constitution Club” http://constitutionclub.ning.com comes 25 points identifying tyranny. I submit they are a bit incomplete, however, and so I have added my thoughts to them in parenthesis.
- The only power tyrants have is the power relinquished to them by their victims.
- The tyrant is often a weak little man. He has no special qualities that set him apart from anyone else – yet the gullible idolize him.
- The victims bring about their own subjection – they “win their enslavement.”
- If without violence the tyrant is simply not obeyed, he becomes “naked and undone and as nothing.”
- Once you resolve to serve no more, you are free. (Freedom is indeed mostly a state of mind, and then a spiritual release follows. — Ott)
- We are all born free and naturally free. (This is what is meant by “inalienable rights” —- Ott)
- Grown-up adults should adopt reason as their guide and never become slaves of anybody.
- People can be enslaved through either force or deception.
- When people lose their freedom through deceit, it is because they mislead themselves. (They don’t love or honor Truth — Ott)
- People born into slavery regard it as a natural condition.
- In general, people are shaped more by their environment than by their natural capacities – if they allow it.
- Habit and custom are powerful forces that keep people enslaved.
- There are always some people who cannot be tamed, subjected, or enslaved.
- Lovers of freedom tend to be ineffective because they are not known to one another.
- People who lose their freedom also lose their valor (strength of mind, bravery).
- Among free people there is competition to do good for humanity.
- People seem to be most gullible towards those who deliberately set out to fool them. It is as if people have a need to be deceived.
- Tyrants stupefy their victims with “pastimes and vain pleasures flashed before their eyes.” (These are the false idols Christ warns against — Ott.)
- Tyrants parade like “workers of magic.”
- Tyrants can only give back part of what they first took from their victims. (That’s because they are users, not producers — Ott)
- Tyrants attain their positions through: (a) Force; (b) Birth; or (c) Election. (They also do so via FRAUD and manipulation —- Ott.)
- Tyrants create a power structure, consisting of a multi-layered hierarchy, staffed by a conspiracy of accomplices. Accomplices receive their positions as a favor from the tyrant.
- The worst dregs of society gather around the tyrant – they are people of weak character who trade servility for unearned wealth.
- Accomplices can profit greatly from their positions in the hierarchy.
- If people withdraw their support, the tyrant topples over from his own corrupted weight.
In the Book of Revelation, Christ identified these tyrant miscreants as the “Nicolaitans” – and He “hated their deeds” (Rev. 2:6, 15) Notice He didn’t say He hated them as human beings, only that He hated their tyrannical doctrine and their deeds – which basically was the root of all human enslavement. Notice that this Chapter in Revelation is also referring to the “Synagogue of Satan” – or those who “Say they are Jews, but are NOT.” Indeed, throughout most of recorded history, this “tribe” has been involved in human slave-trading from days of Babylon, to the dynasties of Egypt. So it is today.
This is basically a great video, but I must disagree with a few points: 1. Human beings are not animals for the very reason that we REASON, and 2. Humans did not evolve from the chimpanzee. WARNING – THE FIRST FEW MINUTES ARE PRETTY GRAPHIC!!!